The Birth of Dibrugarh Town
Urbanization in mordern India has been greatly influenced by the British Empire.
Like many other great Indian cities and town, it was the Britishers that discovered
Dibrugarh as another potential hub in the Upper Assam Region of the North-East india.
Being located at the confluence of the mighty Brahmaputtra and Dihing River,
Dibrugrah commands great importance for the British on various grounds- military,
administrative, commercial and industrial. Initialy, Dibrugarh Town was founded as a
center of strategic importance, and it quickly beacme the aministrative center.
During World War-II the town was the principal military base and was used as a
transit camp for the evacuees of Burma. In the year 1840, the town was made the district headquarters of Dibrugarh.
It is said that Dibrugarh owes its name from the compound of two words. The word ‘Dibru’ or ‘Dibaru’ and ‘Garh’(fort). Dibru or Dibaru is a stream that used to flow to the south of present Dibrugarh Town. When the British set up their militay base in this area, they constructed a Fort on the bank of Dibaru. Hence the name Dibrugarh was coined.
Apart from its importance as strategic center, Dibrugarh attracts the Britishers with its natural wealth greatly. Tea was discovered by the British as early as 1823, and Chuba 20miles to east of Dibrugarh town was the place where the British made their first experiement with Tea Cultivation. In 1882 Oil was discovered in Digboy and in 1876 Coal was found in Ledo and Margherita.
Today Oil and Tea are the major industries of the District. Duliajan 50 km from Dibrugarh Town is the headquarter of the Oil India Ltd. The Fertiliser Corporation of India and Assam Petro-Chemicals Ltd. At Namrup located at a distance of 80 km from Dibrugarh Town. Besides, The Assam Gas Co. at Duliajan, NEEPCO near Duliajan are some of the other major industries in Dibrugarh.